- Apply your skills to world-leading technology development.
- An outstanding opportunity to be part of Australia's largest data innovation group!
- Join Data61's Engineering and Design program and help provide access to and visualize geospatial data.
Data61’s Terria team have an immediate need for an experienced, creative and adaptable Software Engineer to build elegant solutions for unsolved problems, take ownership of their area, and to learn and further develop their skills. In this role you will work in an open, collaborative environment with a culture of trust and individual empowerment. You will also have the opportunity to enjoy flexible working arrangements.
As a member of the Terria team you will work on the open source TerriaJS library itself - our Cesium/WebGL based geospatial visualisation software - as well as projects using TerriaJS such as the NationalMap, AREMI, NEII Viewer, GEOGLAM RAPP Map, TerriaCube, and others.
In this position you will:
- Be a core developer for TerriaJS and help us add cool new features, UI design and development, fix bugs, and much more.
- Develop and maintain both geospatial and non-geospatial web services for use by TerriaJS and other platforms.
- Transform data in order to visualise and interact with it on TerriaJS.
- If the right tool for a job doesn’t exist then help us and potentially the geospatial community by making one.
- Communicate and collaborate with stakeholders to enable them to publish their data, manage data layers and catalogues on our TerriaJS projects.
- Manage the cloud infrastructure used to host and run our systems.
The large majority of code we write is open source.
The Terria team is a part of the Engineering & Design program in Data61 and is a fantastic place to work where you will get to experiment with different solutions to problems. You will be encouraged to choose your own tools, and have the freedom to come up with your own solutions to problems.
More specifically your responsibilities will include:
- Helping develop, maintain, and operate the systems developed by the Terria team.
- Taking responsibility for delivering software features.
- Making use of appropriate software development tools and processes for coding efficiency and for ensuring software quality, maintainability and reusability.
- Working with customers to understand their needs and make sure they are met.
- Engaging with individuals and teams throughout Data61 in order to find new opportunities to collaborate, transfer skills, and initiate new projects.
- Experimenting with technologies, evaluate them and present the results.
- Collaborating effectively with engineering, research, UI/UX and business teams.
Location: Sydney, Canberra or Melbourne
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
Salary: $97K - $105K + up to 15.4% super
To be successful you will need
- A relevant certificate, tertiary qualification (such as Computer Science or Software Engineering), or equivalent experience.
- Proficient working with NodeJS, CSS, HTML, web development.
- Good software development practices (e.g. version control systems, testing, user requirements, delivery, working methodically, problem solving).
- Ability to be given a problem and take ownership of providing the solution.
- Demonstrated ability for self-directed learning.
- Ability to lead the development of significant areas independently.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed engineering team, and carry out tasks autonomously.
For more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Who we are
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Applications Close: Open until filled. Please note that we will be taking a break from assessing applications during the Christmas period from 21 December 2018 to 15 January 2019.