- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on Data Innovation Outcomes!
- Join CSIRO’s Data61, the Digital Innovation Arm of Australia’s Largest Science Agency, the CSIRO.
This position is with the Data-Driven Enterprises Group in the Analytics Program of Data61. The Group undertakes research and industry projects to support digitisation of government and private organisations to achieve better inference from large, complex datasets. The position will contribute to the Group’s goals by undertaking research into advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies to enhance the Group’s and Data61’s capabilities in these domains. In addition, the role will liaise and work with industry and the government to help improve their processing of large, complex datasets, and inference drawn from the data, so as to enhance business processes and decision making.
Your duties will include
- Incorporating novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Undertaking research into, and development of, advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies.
- Communicating effectively and respectfully in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
- Working effectively as an integral member or leader of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, to undertake independent scientific investigations and carry out/delegate associated tasks under broad guidance from more senior Research Scientists/Engineers.
- Working collaboratively and honestly with internal and external colleagues, clients and partners to develop and progress challenging but realistic research plans for a range of research projects.
Location: Clayton, VIC (preferred), Docklands, VIC (negotiable)
Salary: AU$98k - AU$106k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline, such as statistics, mathematics or machine learning.
- Demonstrable experience in the analysis of large, complex datasets using statistics and machine learning.
- Theoretical and practical understanding of statistical and machine learning techniques e.g. Bayesian methods, MCMC, support vector machines, gradient boosting, or deep learning.
- Experience with programming languages such as R and Python, statistical and machine learning tools such as Stan, XGboost, Tensorflow, Theano or Keras and fluent with git and SQL.
- Proven ability working effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and experienced in carrying-out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- A record of scientific publications at respected peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and/or patent filings in Australia, Europe or the USA.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Who we are
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
23:00 AEST 14th June 2019