- Design and implement high-quality software for Data61!
- Work in a vibrant research environment in collaboration with researchers and engineers
- Join CSIRO’s Data61, the largest data innovation group in Australia
CSIRO Data61 is offering an exciting opportunity to hire a highly talented, adaptable, and motivated software engineer with an outstanding professional track in building efficient impactful applications. In this position, you will develop and deploy software, which implement the cutting-edge research activities of our group in the domain of information privacy and security, with a focus on real-life applications. This may include the development of privacy preserving software for data release, privacy preserving analytics and private data processing, or quantification of privacy risks. The successful candidate will have the ability to learn fast, demonstrate strong initiatives, and use agile approaches to develop research and production software.
You will work in a vibrant research environment in collaboration with a talented team of researchers and engineers in the Information Security and Privacy Group of Data61. The team aims to achieve the exciting and challenging goal of enabling the use of data in our digital economy while preserving the privacy and confidentiality of individuals or organisations. Our research targets the most prestigious international publication venues and aims to educate Australia’s best under/post graduate students.
Data61 is the result of a merger between National ICT Australia (NICTA) and CSIRO’s digital research unit, creating one of the largest digital research teams in the world and, outside of the Department of Defence, Australia’s leading capability in cyber security research.
Your duties will include
- Design and implement high-quality software (e.g. demonstrator, research prototypes or proof-of-concept, production systems).
- Collaborate with researchers to implement and evaluate the performance of the algorithms and mechanisms resulting from the research activity of our information security and privacy group.
- Apply ‘standard’ software engineering practices (Agile methods, versioning, etc) to develop efficient and readable software code in timely manner.
- Develop and maintain technical documents related to the developed software, such as manuals, reports, tutorials, API references, etc.
Location: Eveleigh ATP, Sydney
Salary: CSOF3 AU$63K - AU$80K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential selection criteria can be appointed.
- A tertiary qualification and/or equivalent engineering experience in relevant discipline areas, such as computer science, software systems and engineering, distributed computing, information privacy & security, or a closely related field and relevant experience in the area of privacy enhancing technologies.
- 1+ year of industry or academia experience in a comparable position, with a record of developing scalable, robust, and maintainable software applications.
- Experience in developing software code in Python, Scala, and/or other languages (e.g. Java, C++), as well as in data processing tools, such as R, SciPy, or Matlab.
- Strong understanding of basic computing, networking, and mathematical concepts.
- The ability to think creatively, take initiatives, prototype original ideas and deliver them through to clients, working to deadlines.
- The ability and willingness to learn new technologies and abstract concepts as required.
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate and to perform efficient joint work under minimal supervision, on multi-disciplinary challenges through successful collaborations with researchers from industry and academia.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.