Functional Programming Engineers
- Develop open-source software and systems targeting industry applications which are globally competitive.
- Design, develop and adapt functional programming techniques.
- Join Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group and make significant contributions to research direction.
Data61 is the largest data innovation group in Australia. Bringing together CSIRO's Productivity team and National ICT Australia (NICTA), we are unrivalled in our intellectual capital and our network with the global technology marketplace. The combined group will bring together approximately 600 research staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 will continue to develop Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
We are currently seeking an experienced and qualified candidate to join the Functional Programming team in Data61’s Engineering & Design Group. As an integral part of the team you will apply your strong functional programming skills to contribute to the development of open-source software and systems targeting industry applications which are globally competitive.
In this role you will work with a high level of independence to design, develop and adapt functional programming techniques. As a Functional Programming Engineer you will participate in project scoping and planning, and make significant contributions to the research direction. In this role you may also set up and maintain efficient work teams, manage performance and resources; and provide leadership and development to less experienced staff to ensure research outcomes are achieved.
Specifically you will:
- Develop software and systems building on Data61's research as part of Data61's business-focussed project teams as allocated.
- Perform evaluation and comparisons of the developed software in terms of functionality, performance and robustness as necessary to demonstrate the competitiveness of the software.
- Write documentation for the software and systems.
- Work collaboratively with project team members including project leaders,engineers and researchers.
- Make use of Functional Programming tools and processes for efficiency and for ensuring software quality.
- Contribute to open source development, patent searching and/or patent creation activities as appropriate.
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Salary: $92K - $100K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelors/Masters Degree in a relevant discipline, such as computer science or engineering and/or equivalent experience.
- Strong demonstrable skills in functional programming techniques.
- An ability to demonstrate functional programming principles using Haskell.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of independence, plan and set work for self and others and recognise where endeavours will make the most impact.
- Demonstrated experience with revision control systems such as git or mercurial.
- A thorough understanding and commitment to principles of open-source software.
High-level communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to anticipate the interests and knowledge level of an audience and present information and feedback accordingly.
Proven ability to investigate underlying issues of complex and ill-defined problems and develop appropriate responses by adapting/creating and testing alternative solutions.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
Data61: The world is changing, fast. Data is essential for solving the world’s problems and providing prosperity for Australia. We are the largest data innovation group in Australia, a connector that brings together technology innovators, businesses and universities to transform Australian industry and to help solve our greatest challenges. A CSIRO business, we are creating our data-driven future.
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: Open until filled