- Develop open-source software and systems targeting industry applications which are globally competitive.
- Take a lead role in designing, developing and adapting functional programming techniques.
- Join Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group and make significant contributions to research direction.
Data61 is the largest data innovation group in Australia. Bringing together CSIRO's Productivity team and National ICT Australia (NICTA), we are unrivalled in our intellectual capital and our network with the global technology marketplace. The combined group will bring together approximately 600 research staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia.
Data61 will continue to develop Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
In the role of Senior Functional Programming Engineer you will apply your specialist expertise to solve complex problems in designing, developing and adapting functional programming techniques. You will provide effective team leadership and maintain productive staff and client relationships. In this role you will also be instrumental in ensuring that client needs are met, and will have a leading role in the effective transfer of new technology to industry.
Using your in-depth know of future trends, you will identify opportunities for new or extension of existing technologies to be realised. You will take a leading role in project scoping and planning, and make significant contributions to the research direction.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Applying specialist expertise to solve complex problems in the development of software and systems building on Data61's research as part of Data61's business-focussed project teams as allocated.
- Maintain an awareness of trends in research and cross-functional technological/scientific innovations to target opportunities for take up of research.
- Ensure that client needs are met or exceeded.
- Take responsibility for the quality of results delivered, and the alignment of project activities with business and research directions.
- Perform evaluation and comparisons of the developed software in terms of functionality, performance and robustness as necessary to demonstrate the competitiveness of the software.
- Publish and communicate results to the immediate team, researchers and other stakeholders.
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Salary: $106K - 124K + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelors/Masters Degree in a relevant discipline, such as computer science or engineering and/or equivalent experience.
- Expertise in functional programming techniques.
- A record of innovation resulting in technology transfer/adaptation by industry or community.
- Experience maintaining efficient work teams, managing performance and resources to achieve objectives.
- Ability to demonstrate functional programming principles using Haskell.
- Proven ability to work with a high degree of independence, plan and set work for self and others and recognise where endeavours will make the most impact.
- Demonstrated experience with revision control systems such as git or mercurial.
- A thorough understanding and commitment to principles of open-source software.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
- Experience with mainstream programming in an industry setting, and a familiarity with the specific problems that are regularly encountered in that context.
- Ability to identify critical stakeholders and influence them via a third party to gain support for sometimes contentious proposals/ideas.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to anticipate the interests and knowledge level of an audience and present information accordingly.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
Data61: The world is changing, fast. Data is essential for solving the world’s problems and providing prosperity for Australia. We are the largest data innovation group in Australia, a connector that brings together technology innovators, businesses and universities to transform Australian industry and to help solve our greatest challenges. A CSIRO business, we are creating our data-driven future.
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: Open until filled