Project Manager (Technology R&D)
- Are you an experienced technology project manager?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to deliver cutting-edge data science to clients?
- Join CSIRO Data61's team, the largest data innovation group in Australia
Data61 is looking for an experienced project manager to manage the agile delivery of a number of technology R&D projects for its clients.
In this role, you will work closely with researchers, business teams, software engineers and user experience designers to deepen engagements with key clients. This is not a traditional project manager role (managing Gantt charts and chasing people to make sure they will meet the estimate they gave), nor is it simply an Agile role like scrum master, product owner or agile coach. While these activities will be part of your toolkit, the role will be focussed on client interaction, removing barriers and working with the team to deliver. We are looking for an experienced, client-focused project manager who is self-motivated and can manage the complexity and ambiguity of projects in a research and development organisation
Specifically you will:
- Be the key liaison point for discussions with clients throughout the project (projects are typically conducted using an agile approach and frequent client involvement is critical to success).
- Manage project deliverables and milestones, which include software, hardware and data analysis reports.
- Oversee delivery of service level agreements for operational web services.
- Manage project timelines and agile boards (with input from project staff, clients and other stakeholders).
- Provide progress reports for management and for clients.
- Manage the measurement of project success or otherwise (including managing the setting of indicators of success, monitoring the project while underway and including results in reports).
- Coordinate (and chair, if appropriate) project meetings, including meetings with clients, workshops and technical discussion meetings.
- Ensure roles on the project are clear to project team members.
- Manage project staff allocation and project finances using internal systems.
- Manage supplier relationships, including supplier contracts.
- Liaise with internal teams in areas such as business development, product management, legal, user experience, research and engineering.
- Contribute to Data61's engineering discipline by improving use of software development tools, practices and culture.
- Maintain high ethical and performance standards.
Location: Sydney, NSW
Salary: AUD $92k - $100k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be successful you will need:
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
Our commitment to you
CSIRO’s Data61 offers an open and supportive workplace, where employee wellbeing is a top priority. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace by focusing on gender equality, support and development of women in leadership, increasing the employment of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders whilst supporting the LGBTI community and other diverse backgrounds.
CSIRO’s Data61 offers a range of flexible working opportunities, including part-time and job share arrangements, to provide you with work/life balance. We emphasise an individual’s growth and development which is supported by interacting and learning from world leading scientists and engineers, who provide the opportunity to challenge, transform and innovate new ideas.
CSIRO’s Data61 is committed to sourcing the brightest and best talent to become part of the Data61 family that contributes to creating Australia’s data driven future.
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your covering letter and resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications will remain open until filled, however we encourage you to submit your application by 6 August 2017 as we will interview suitable candidates from that date onwards - We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.