- Develop software technologies to advance the minerals resources industry.
- Be part of a dynamic team of dedicated professionals.
- Join CSIRO's Discovery Program and help us invent the future.
The Discovery Program is seeking to recruit a Software Engineer to support its increasing participation in data analytics in the resources sector. The Program develops software technologies to aid in characterising mineral resources and minerals exploration. The Program has a need for an experienced software engineer that can support this work by designing and maintaining operational IT systems in conventional, HPC and Cloud environments across the work portfolio and ensure quality for internal operations and support customer demand.
As the successful candidate you will be working in a multi-disciplinary team of geologists and software engineers, and will play a role in the design and development of IT systems to support analytical algorithms and their integration with scientific workflows. You will be involved in innovative projects and gain exposure to cutting-edge technology, and also assist in taking concept through to operational system with a key focus on systems quality for industry use.
In this role you will:
- Provide a key collaboration role between geoscientists and software engineers and the creation of robust operational systems from research outcomes.
- Derive and communicate effectively technical requirements with an emphasis on systems architecture and implementation.
- Play an active role in the software development and project life cycle.
- Convey research ideas and scientific requirements into a technical development plan.
- Take research code/systems and engineer into robust systems suitable for routine client use.
- Actively contribute towards strategic development.
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: $92K - $100K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelors (Hons) Degree in computer science, software engineering or related discipline
- High-level communication skills, both written and oral.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in software engineering, particularly in Java and web development technologies.
- Demonstrated track record in systems architecture/engineering.
- Excellent skills in converting research software systems into operational systems for use by external clients.
- Experience with software industry development practices, including planning, continuous integration, continuous testing and deployment.
- Demonstrated ability in integrated data systems, high performance data, and advanced data analytics techniques, data management.
- The ability to solve complex problems under limited guidance and according to set objectives.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
About CSIRO Mineral Resources: Working closely with industry partners, we deliver innovation to grow Australia's resource base, increase productivity and drive environmental performance. To find out more visit: CSIRO Minerals Resources
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your covering letter and resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role as defined in the Position Details Document.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details Document
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 20 August 2017