- Add value to the making of useful climate forecasts
- Support development of climate forecasting and big data analysis
- Apply your skills in a dynamic role with a supportive team at CSIRO!
CSIRO has recently committed to fund a 10 year, 15 person project to develop the national capability in multi-year to decadal climate forecasting. The project will support the fundamental advancement of ocean and atmosphere dynamics, novel ways to assimilate ocean and atmosphere data, development of an ensemble climate prediction system and the applications of the climate forecasts for key stakeholders.
This position supports development of the Climate Analysis Forecast Ensemble (CAFE) system at CSIRO. As part of this project, this position of Scientific Programmer will develop and assess suites of coupled climate models on supercomputers, generate and interrogate big data in the form of large ensemble climate forecasts, develop and apply ensemble verification metrics to big data to assess and monitor the skill of climate forecasts, and visualise climate forecast data.
Location: Hobart TAS
Salary: *CSOF4 - AU $78K - $88K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*CSOF5 - AU $92K - $100K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
* Appointment will be made at level 4 or 5 depending on skills and experience
To be successful you will need:
- A relevant Bachelors/Masters Degree &/or equivalent experience in Scientific Computer Programming.
- Experience in handling large databases and big data systems.
- Ability to process and analyse the large volumes of data and files generated by the climate forecasting system.
- Ability to develop and maintain version control systems for suites of programs, model runs, and data products.
- Capability to design and code data portals for serving large volumes of data to clients.
- Experience in numerical methods and computer coding with the ability in translating mathematical expressions required for climate diagnostics into python code and in developing software to visualise climate data.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST Sunday 3rd September 2017