- Do you have a background in Electrical or Software Engineering, or Agricultural or Environmental Studies?
- Utilise your experience in a role that has a wider impact on Australian Agriculture
- Join CSIRO Agriculture and Food in a role that takes you from office to field!
We are seeking a motivated individual to join our team as a Research Assistant/Junior Engineer. Ideally, you will be trained, or have a background in, agricultural or ecological research, computer science, electrical engineering, mechatronics, or other fields in which data analysis techniques (i.e. computer vision and machine learning) are involved. If you have some familiarity with agricultural field work, microcontrollers, Linux, python/Matlab/R, and electronics, this may also be beneficial.
As a Research Assistant/Junior Engineer, you will assist with the development and use of integrated proximal sensors, supporting analytics and associated software, as well as be involved with field testing and regular use of developed sensors in commercial vineyards and/or CSIRO grapevine plantings.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Optimisation of existing LiDAR data analysis pipeline.
- Assisting with the development of integrated sensor hardware and associated support software.
- Assisting with the development of novel sensor data analytics for application in viticulture.
- Field testing of new hardware, regular field collection of data using existing hardware.
- Reporting to senior staff on experiments and progress.
Location: Adelaide (Waite Campus), SA
Salary: $61K to $78K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
Job reference: 51603
To be successful, you will need:
- A tertiary qualification or equivalent experience in Electrical or Software engineering, agricultural or environmental studies
- The ability and willingness to travel and occasionally stay overnight to conduct fieldwork
- Experience with programming and data analysis in Python/R/Matlab or similar languages.
- Experience with field-deployed agricultural or environmental sensing.
Before you apply, please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! Balance
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
How to apply: Please upload one document only containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter, which provides responses to the selection criteria for this position, to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability.
Applications close: 10:59pm AEST, Thursday 30th November, 2017.