- Are you a highly motivated recent (or near) PhD graduate with expertise in Scientific Computing?
- Prestigious Postdoctoral Fellowship on offer - kick-start your research career
- Work with a world-leading team of multidisciplinary researchers
Australia’s future minerals, energy and water resources will come from greater depths in the onshore regions and from deep offshore plays. Our ability to find, define and exploit mineral resources is limited by a deep and complex regolith that covers about 80% of the Australian land mass. Undiscovered conventional oil and gas lies in deeper or more subtle traps, or else is sourced from unconventional sources onshore that require new geophysical methods to quantify. The science of Deep Earth Imaging will help us more precisely image and understand the significance of subsurface rock properties, which in turn will unlock the resource potential of this vast and relatively under-explored continent.
To contribute to this effort, we seek an outstanding early career researcher with a background in Scientific Computing to assist in the:
a) Development of novel geophysical and geological inversion methods
b) Deployment of these new methods on high-performance computing and cloud architectures
c) Delivery of compute tools and geoscience data via web platforms, including the further development and management of these platforms.
You will join a growing, world-leading team of 25 multidisciplinary researchers. You will have an opportunity to develop leading and cutting edge scientific applications and novel deployment and delivery techniques. The geosciences are one of the largest users of scientific computing and provide a stimulating career working on large datasets with challenging but rewarding data analysis tasks. You will be at the forefront of a change in the way we explore and manage Australia’s vital resources.
Postdoctoral Fellowships at CSIRO provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctoral studies and who have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships will help launch their careers, provide experience that will enhance their career prospects, and facilitate the recruitment and development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for terms of up to three years and work closely with leading research scientists and engineers. They carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes and present the findings in international publications and conferences.
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: AU $80K - AU $91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate in a relevant discipline such as computer science or the geosciences or physics with a focus on scientific computing and/or HPC/cloud computing. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in scientific programming, including developing software for a HPC/cloud environment and using collaborative software development tools (version control, issue tracking, etc.).
- Evidence of high quality written and oral communication skills achieved through high-level reporting, publication, and presentation.
- Evidence ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team
- Motivation and self-discipline to conduct independent research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity with the ability and willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigation.
Before applying, we encourage you to read the full position description for this role. This document can be viewed at:
Position details document
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: To apply, please provide a CV as well as a cover letter addressing the selection criteria in brief, and upload these as one document. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: Applications will close 10:59pm (AEST) on Wednesday 21st March 2018.