- Are you passionate about functional programming?
- We seek 5 new engineers of various experience levels
- Join Data61's Queensland Functional Programming Lab
Data61 is the largest technology innovation group in Australia. Bringing together CSIRO’s Productivity team and National ICT Australia (NICTA), we are unrivalled in our intellectual capital and our network with the global technology marketplace.
We are currently seeking Functional Programming Software Engineers to fill five vacancies. These roles span early-career through to senior software engineer roles. In these roles, you will develop open-source software using functional programming with an emphasis on application to industry problems. The positions will be based in Data61’s Engineering & Design Group with allocation to our Queensland Functional Programming Lab.
We require developers with a diversity of skills in programming, particularly in industry application, and with a strong desire to improve quality of software through functional programming. Early-career Functional Programmers, with aspirations to take advantage of the technical benefits of functional programming, are encouraged to apply. A commitment to self-directed learning is essential for this role.
In this role you will:
- Develop software systems using functional programming techniques.
- Work collaboratively with project team members including project leaders, engineers and researchers.
- Make use of functional programming tools and processes for efficiency of software development and ensuring software quality.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- Contribute to Data61’s engineering discipline by participating in discussions of software development tools, processes and culture.
- Maintain high ethical and performance standards.
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Salary: Various, to reflect early-career through to senior level
Tenure: 5 positions, specified term of up to 3 years.
Ref No.: 56235
To be successful you will need:
- An ability to demonstrate functional programming principles using programming languages such as Haskell, Purescript or Idris.
- Self-directed and motivated learner, who seeks out knowledge by own volition.
- Experience with revision control systems such as git, darcs or mercurial.
- An understanding and commitment to principles of open-source software.
- Willingness to comply with company Equal Opportunity and Occupational Health and Safety policies.
Desirable Technical Expertise
- Skills in front-end development, preferably using languages such as Haskell or Purescript.
- Skills and experience in compiler theory and programming language design.
- Skills in creating or improving language tooling and library documentation.
- Experience with existing machine learning programming tools and a desire to improve on those.
- Experience with programming in an industry setting and familiarity with its typical challenges.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to apply:
To register your interest you will be required to submit your resume and cover letter, as one document, highlighting your experience as relevant to the role requirements.