CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Sensing Animal Welfare - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Sensing Animal Welfare
- Pursue research to advance sensor technologies with application to livestock welfare
- Combine your ML/AI skills with your interests in biological science
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
CSIRO’s vision is to harness the ability of sensor technologies to classify and interpret animal behaviour in order to deliver an automated animal welfare assessment system. The Postdoctoral Fellow will be required to identify sensor technologies able to monitor animal welfare at critical stages of the animal supply chain, and design experiments to investigate the accuracy and suitability of these approaches in a commercial setting. The developed technology will have a direct application area in Agrifood sustainability assurance, allowing for new quantitative measures of livestock welfare to be integrated, and enabling automated benchmarking for welfare assurance.
Your duties will include:
- Conducting research to advance the state of the art in sensor technologies, data analytics, and automated compliance with application to enhance livestock welfare.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Liaising with industry stakeholders to identify opportunities for the application of sensor technologies to underpin livestock welfare metrics and to refine & optimise the technology for industry application.
- Recognising and utilising opportunities for innovation, generating new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team, to undertake scientific investigations and carrying out associated tasks under the guidance of Senior Research Scientists/Engineers.
Location: St Lucia (Brisbane), QLD
Salary: AU$88k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in Sensor technologies, Data analytics, Machine Learning or related discipline. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Extensive knowledge of sensor technologies, and machine learning to interpret large datasets (ML/AI).
- Experience with formal verification and logic.
- Interest in biological science as an application area.
- Ability to communicate across domains including computer scientists, data scientists, ML modellers and animal scientists.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applicants must be Australian/New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 30 Aug 2021
- QLD - St Lucia
- AU$88k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Research and Development