Data Scientist: ML/AI Applications - [Archived Advertisement]
Data Scientist: ML/AI Applications
- Are you a Data Scientist that wants to make a difference to our Energy sector?
- Opportunity to work on innovative technologies to enable a lower emissions energy future!
- Join CSIRO and support Australia's premier scientific organisation!
We are looking for an ambitious Data Scientist to spearhead the development of machine learning, artificial intelligence and computer vision applications for geological characterization using state of the art methods.
You will be joining our Energy division at CSIRO where you will be applying your technical ability for energy resource quantification, identification and qualification of potential subsurface CO2 and hydrogen storage locations. This research will be a valuable contribution that will underpin the transition to Australia’s clean energy sources.
Therefore, we are eagerly seeking a Data Scientist that is skilled in the field of Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence and has the same enthusiasm towards our clean energy mission.
Additional responsibilities will include the following:
- Development of predictive ML tools for multi-scale, multivariate data.
- Develop workflows for exploring, pre-processing and manipulating large image datasets though ML applications and programming interfaces.
- Develop tools and pipelines to assimilate hard data on rock composition (geochemical, mineralogical) and rock properties (quantitative, e.g., porosity, and descriptive, e.g., texture).
- Analyse diverse imaging and micro-analytical data types and develop training and prediction workflows from multiple sources.
- Develop proof-of-concept case studies to enable applications to subsurface CO2 storage, energy resource evaluation.
- Use CSIRO HPC and cloud-based facilities for managing and processing large datasets.
- Develop strong collaborations with leading national and international research organisations and with energy industry clients and government agencies.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers that are suitable for publication.
Location: Perth WA
Salary: AU$100k - AU$109k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years; Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate and/or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Physical Sciences/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Science, or Computer Science/ Engineering.
- Demonstrated expertise in statistical learning, image processing, ML/AI techniques (including pattern recognition, prediction and optimization).
- Sound coding and programming skills, specifically within Python, R, Matlab, Julia, C, C++, Java.
- Significant ML /AI background with Deep Convolutional Neural Network libraries experience, such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Including the ability to produce high quality publications or peer reviewed journals within relevant disciplines.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with others to proactively achieve a focused objective and problem solve.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work within this position at CSIRO you must be either:
- An Australian Citizen
- A Permanent Resident
- Currently hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (international applicants welcome).
Australian visas must allow full working rights for the expected duration of the term (ending approx October 2024), and where applicable, sponsorship visas are available.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of balanced options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role as described in the selection criteria on the Position Description.
17th October 2021, 11:59 pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 17 Oct 2021
- WA - Perth
- AU$100k - AU$109k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Engineering - Software
Research and Development