Data Scientist (Agricultural Systems) - [Archived Advertisement]
Data Scientist (Agricultural Systems)
- Apply your data analytics & remote sensing skills in a dynamic long-term role!
- Play a vital role in strengthening the digital capabilities of CSIRO’s Agricultural Programs
- Great learning & development opportunity to grow your career in R&D sector
Do you enjoy working with large data sets & new digital analytical technologies? CSIRO is seeking a Data Scientist with skills and experience in big data analytics, GIS and remote sensing to join their dynamic team in the Integrated Farming Systems Program within CSIRO Agriculture unit.
Our Integrated Farming Systems Program works in partnership with rural industries, communities, and governments to deliver improvements in agricultural productivity and profitability whilst minimising environmental damage. The core of the Program’s science lies in better understanding and managing soil-plant interactions that underpin productive, profitable and sustainable farm businesses. We use combinations of field experimentation, remote sensing, proximal sensing, crop modelling, and data science to identify and invest in novel approaches to sustainably intensify Australia’s farming systems.
In this new role, you will use your data analytical and digital technology skills to understand and further develop agricultural processes and systems. You will play a vital role in enhancing the digital capabilities of the program, and will have the opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects, collaborating with stakeholders nationally and internationally. Joining a team of highly-motivated data scientists & research specialists, this will be a great opportunity for an early-career data analyst to learn new skills & programs and grow their career in R&D sector.
Your duties will include:
- Applying knowledge of big data analytics and data handling to agricultural problems, where data from multiple sources (satellites, industry data, climate data, market data) need to be integrated to generate a solution.
- Developing either big data analytical processes, remote sensing processes, proximal sensing processes or data handling processes that assist monitoring and managing the agricultural landscape. Where appropriate, applying new technologies for soil and crop sensing to monitor systems responses.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Communicating with other systems scientists, data scientists and engineers to develop digital agricultural systems of value to the Australian industry.
- Actively engaging with industry stakeholders and communicating the value of advanced analytics to potential industry partners.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Canberra, ACT (preferred); Perth, WA and Brisbane, QLD (negotiable)
Salary: AU$100K to AU$108K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Minimum qualification of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as Data Science, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or Remote Sensing.
- A current, valid Australian drivers’ licence or the ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Experience with the Python programming language and demonstrated ability to cope with large, big data problems and heterogenous data.
- Experience and/or demonstrated knowledge with GIS, remote sensing and/or proximal sensing data.
- Experience with data analytics, ideally including machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be currently residing in Australia as an:
- Australian/New Zealand citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident
- Australian Temporary Resident (visa sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates)
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 October 2021, 11:00pm ADST
- Closing Date:
- 24 Oct 2021
- AU$100K to AU$108K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: