- Do you want to apply your data skills to be part of science and research at CSIRO?
- Are you passionate about open-source software and open data?
- Would you like to work on international collaborations?
We are offering an exciting data role working at CSIRO in biodiversity science, using modern open- source technology and collaborating with stakeholders all around the country and the world.
The Atlas of Living Australia (ALA) is Australia’s national biodiversity data aggregator providing biodiversity data and related products and services to over 75,000 users in research, government, industry and to the general public. The ALA uses and produces open-source software and tools to aggregate Australian biodiversity data from a variety of providers and make it discoverable and reusable online. Our technology stack is reused by over 25 countries.
Your duties will include:
In this role, you will apply your understanding of data modelling, data integration and analysis, and standards to develop novel integrated data products at scale. You will be responsible for the development of robust workflows and software packages that support the work of the science and decision support team, as well as key stakeholders, including the Integrated Marine Observing System, Terrestrial Ecosystem Research Network and the Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment. You will also be responsible for maintaining relationships with project leads and data teams within the ALA and its partner organisations.
- Develop integrated information products from the ALA and its partner organisations
- Develop standard methods to support biodiversity data integration workflows and modelling scenarios
- Develop and maintain software tools to support those workflows as required
- Develop effective metadata and documentation of integration workflows
- Develop effective relationships with the project leads and data analysts across the project partners
- Liaise with users and their communities/representatives regarding the delivery of services to meet their requirements.
Location: Canberra, Melbourne are preferred, though we are willing to accept candidates from other AEST timezones
Salary: AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- Experience in data cleaning, transformation and analysis in a command-line environment (such as R or Python)
- Experience in using and working with APIs to harvest and publish data
- Experience in collaborative software development following best practice standards for code testing, style, and dependency management
- Demonstrated ability to work with independence and self-motivation within a team environment, drawing on excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the R programming language, including skills in package development, Rmarkdown, and Shiny apps
- Experience working with standard web technologies (HTML, XML, CSS)
- Skills in effective visualisation of complex data
- Knowledge of standard data sources and formats for environmental applications
- Sound understanding of commonwealth environmental reporting frameworks and stakeholders
CSIRO is an Equal Opportunity employer working hard to recruit world-class talent that represents the diversity across our society.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7th November 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 07 Nov 2021
- AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time
Engineering - Software
Research and Development