Lead Digital Architect - CSIRO Land & Water - [Archived Advertisement]
Lead Digital Architect - CSIRO Land & Water
- Lead technical design & delivery of digital products & infrastructure
- Drive scalable digital outputs across large & complex projects
- Contribute to critical national projects for the newly formed Australian Climate Service
At CSIRO, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We are Australia's national science agency and innovation catalyst, collaborating to boost Australia's innovation performance. We have partnered with the Bureau of Meteorology, Geoscience Australia, and the Australian Bureau of Statistics in creating the newly established Australian Climate Service (ACS) to address recommendations into National Natural Hazard Arrangements. The ACS will be the Commonwealth’s trusted provider of data, information and knowledge to support improved preparation for, response to and recovery from natural disasters, reducing risk and building resilience, in Australia. It brings together Australia’s leading climate and natural disaster information and expertise in a customer-led and mission-focussed national capability.
A number of newly created roles are available to support delivery of the ACS portfolio of projects and will be based within CSIRO Land & Water (L&W). Through an integrated systems research approach CSIRO L&W provides the information and technologies required by government, industry and the Australian and international communities to protect, restore, and manage natural and built environments.
As the Lead Digital Architect, you will oversee the integrated technical design and delivery of digital infrastructure and outputs across large and complex projects. You will drive and lead the technical and strategic design and delivery of digital products, outcomes and infrastructure underpinning CSIRO’s ACS delivery. Key deliverables include: a) conceptual design of digital infrastructure and technical systems architecture; b) integration of digital platforms to implement infrastructures; c) working with domain experts to ensure digital platforms enable efficient workflows that can scale up to meet the national-scale challenge of ACS; d) delivery of digital products to decision makers using online dashboards and other interactive decision-support capabilities; and e) oversight of overall external facing web-presence for digital tools and products. This role may also work with and support other projects across CSIRO L&W’s portfolio.
Applications are invited across two job classification levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience.
Your duties will include:
- Lead the strategic conceptual and technical design of sustainable digital infrastructure and platforms, working with domain experts to enable efficient workflows that can scale up to meet national challenges
- Design, coordinate and lead digital delivery mechanisms for producing scientific outputs
- Develop coherent technical architecture that coordinates and links the models and scientific workflows being developed across multiple ACS projects to facilitate simulation of complex land and water systems and drive innovation in the ability to deliver national-scale environmental science targeted to customer needs.
- Provide technical leadership to key stakeholders around issues such as data standards and exchange formats to ensure the smooth digital flows necessary to deliver ACS at scale.
- Be accountable for the quality of the results delivered, the alignment of the project activities with the business, research and/or technology directions.
- Maintain a sound understanding of the client’s business or a market opportunity, negotiate work requirements with clients or project teams and ensure that client/project team needs are met.
Location: Melbourne or Canberra preferred, other locations negotiable
Salary: Attractive salary package offered
Tenure: Specified term of 4 years
To be considered you will need:
- Proven experience and strategic leadership in information architecture design including reusable cloud workflows, and leading teams in large system software development environments.
- Proven experience managing the successful delivery of ‘digital transformation’ and/or major R&D platform / data infrastructure.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, architecture/design patterns, distributed systems, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and manage complex professional relationships.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to deliver presentations and written outputs to internal and external stakeholders at workshops, conferences and seminars.
- Experience in at least one area of relevance to resilience, disaster risk reduction, or climate adaptation science is desirable as is experience in working with distributed geospatial software systems.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid working visa for the duration of the term. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent and may be subject to other security/medical/character check requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact. Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
This role will remain open until filled however we encourage you to apply early as we will begin assessing applications from 31/1/2022.
- Attractive salary package offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Engineering - Software
Research and Development