Senior Network Engineer - SKA-Low Telescope (SKA-Low)
Senior Network Engineer - SKA-Low Telescope (SKA-Low)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join an international networking team and support the most ambitious radio telescope project in the world
- Deliver novel computing and technology solutions to meet the unique requirements of the SKA
- Build your leadership skills in this long-term evolving role
The SKA Observatory (SKAO) is a next-generation radio-astronomy facility that will revolutionise our understanding of the Universe and the laws of fundamental physics. It is one observatory with two telescopes – SKA-Low in Western Australia and SKA-Mid based in South Africa. SKAO is managed from its headquarters in the United Kingdom and has responsibility for SKAO construction and operation globally. SKAO will operate the SKA-Low telescope in collaboration with CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency. The Computing and Software team delivers novel computing and technology solutions to meet the unique requirements of SKA.
As the Senior Network Engineer – SKA-Low, you will lead the network deployment of the SKA-Low telescope. Working alongside the SKAO’s Network Architect, Computing Infrastructure Lead, other domain specialists, project managers and system engineers, you will ensure the networks for the SKA-Low telescope are fit for purpose, will last for decades and allow for continual evolution as the systems are delivered during telescope construction.
Due to the locations involved in the SKA project, in particular South Africa and the United Kingdom, this role will require work outside normal hours and travel to the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory, to Geraldton and at times, internationally.
The SKAO and S&A are committed to providing a safe and inclusive culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplaces. This role is offered on a full-time, part-time or job-share basis. Note: Visa sponsorship may not be available for part-time appointments.
Your duties will include:
- Work with the stakeholders to continually refine network requirements for the SKA Low telescope.
- Support the ongoing network design activities required for procurement.
- Develop the technical content of the network procurement packages once the designs have been agreed.
- Assist in the deployment and support of the telescope networks.
- Assist with security audits and risk assessments undertaken by specialists.
- Provide updates and reports as necessary on the status of the SKA network installation in Australia.
- Undertake national and international travel to represent the SKAO and the Australian SKA data networks.
Location: Kensington (Perth) Western Australia
Salary: AU$117k - AU$138k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite - Full-time, job-share or part-time (minimum 60 hours per fortnight)
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in a relevant subject or an equivalent level of experience and expertise.
- Significant experience in the architecture and design of large network systems and an understanding of relevant new technologies.
- Experience of data centre networking technologies.
- Experience in the installation, optimisation and maintenance of network and security devices and services, and the ability to assure compliance with relevant policies and regulations.
- An understanding of Lean principles.
- Experience in a leadership position, or evidence of potential to fulfil a leadership position.
- The ability and willingness to undertake domestic travel to the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory and Geraldton, and some international travel.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to all candidates.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
The SKA Observatory is coordinating a global effort to deliver the largest science facility on the planet. The SKAO will build next-generation radio telescopes that will help to answer key questions in astrophysics, drive technological innovation and support human capital development.
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter which includes both your motivations for applying and a statement (of no more than 2-3 pages) addressing each essential criterion as outlined in the Position Details. Note that your covering letter and your statement addressing the criteria, should be within the one document.
Sunday 5 June, 2022 (11pm Australian Eastern Standard Time, AEST)
- Closing Date:
- 05 Jun 2022
- WA - Kensington
- AU$117k - AU$138k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time
Engineering - Network/Systems Admin
Network and Systems
Research and Development