- Calling Developers with experience in creative technology!
- VPS 6.2: salary between $152,773 - $174,869 plus superannuation
- Employee benefits include a 10% discount at Readings bookstore and Mr Tulk Café!
About the Library
State Library Victoria is Australia's oldest public library, and one of the first free public libraries in the world.
We believe in the power of knowledge to change lives. Free to access and open to all, the Library enriches the cultural, educational, social and economic lives of all Victorians.
State Library Victoria preserves and shares the stories of Victoria and the world, and is a major destination for stimulating cultural experiences, contemporary debates, and community-driven collecting. We encourage learning, exploration, imagination, and creativity, opening up possibilities for all Victorians.
About the Opportunity
The Lead Developer is a multifaceted role that combines technical expertise and innovative thinking. As part of the Creative Studio, they will lead a keen development team; work with the Library's collection; and head-up the development of exciting new digital experiences, leveraging new technologies to create imaginative digital solutions.
Key tasks include conceptualising innovative technical approaches; hands-on coding; providing technical leadership and strategy; and ensuring seamless integration of technologies to deliver engaging creative experiences, both onsite and online, that are forward-thinking and robust.
Projects could include browser-based web experiences; real-time onsite interactive experiences; engaging with the Library's vast collection using advanced technologies such as computer vision and machine learning; and more. The Lead Developer will play an important role in the Library's new innovation lab, which values creativity, experimentation and open-sourced development.
The Lead Developer is accountable for the following measurable outcomes:
- Innovation: The technical development of creative projects that push the boundaries of technology in new and innovative ways, measured by successful implementation and positive impact on project outcomes.
- Technical excellence: The consistent delivery of high-quality and effective technical solutions that are reliable, efficient, maintainable and have few code-related issues.
- Leadership and support: The fostering of an inclusive and dynamic creative culture through supportive leadership to increase the engagement of team members and encourage the growth of capabilities in the team.
The ideal candidate possesses proficiency in a wide range of programming languages, development frameworks and technologies relevant to the Creative Studio's work, with the ability to lead and contribute to complex software development projects
In addition, you will come to us with:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline, e.g. Bachelor of Computing or equivalent industry experience
- Significant experience as a lead developer, leading technically challenging projects at the forefront of technology innovation in a creative production environment.
- Demonstrated professional technical experience as a lead developer, including hands-on coding using modern development technologies to develop creative products.
- Demonstrated experience leading and implementing best practices across a development team including CI/CD, testing, accessibility, and version control (e.g. Git).
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders and responding to business requirements with strong communication skills to create exceptional user experiences.
- A track record of supportive leadership to increase the engagement of team members and collaborators and encourage the growth of capabilities in the team.
- Demonstrated experience with developing AI/ML neural networks; real-time graphics processing & rendering; or other advanced creative technologies would be highly regarded.
- Demonstrated experience in a creative technology field, such as digital design or media art, would be highly desirable.
State Library Victoria is a child-safe organisation. A valid Working with Children Check will be required before commencing.
State Library Victoria promotes a workplace that actively seeks to welcome and value the unique contributions of all people. We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with disability, people from cultural and linguistical diverse backgrounds, LGBTIQ+, D/deaf, disabled, neurodivergent people and people of all ages and abilities to apply.
How to apply
Please click the Apply button to submit your application via Careers.Vic.
The following documents should be attached to your application:
- Cover letter (maximum 3 pages) summarising how you meet the key selection criteria in the Position Description and the About You section of the advertisement.
- Please also add a section in your cover letter (following your 3 pages of responses to the selection criteria) with links to, or screenshots of, samples of work you have done in the past that are relevant to supporting your application (max 3 samples please).
(for more information on format and content of your application, please see Preparing Your Application on the Careers.vic page).
For a confidential discussion about the opportunity, please contact Mike Daly (Head of Creative Studio) at email@example.com.
For assistance with the application process, or to discuss options for internal transfers, please contact the People team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy Collection Notice
Information about how we collect and use your personal information, and how you can contact us, can be found here.
We want all applicants to have an equal opportunity to demonstrate that they are the best person for the job. If you require an adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, or the provision of a particular access service, please contact our People team on email@example.com. If you are unable to make this deadline due to unforeseen personal circumstances, please get in contact to obtain a short extension to the deadline.
Advertisement closes at 11.59pm Australian Eastern Standard Time on 18 February 2024.