- Manage NASA’s southern hemisphere Deep Space Communications station near Canberra, ACT
- Lead a team of 90 people in CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science
- Support exploration of the Solar System and humanity’s return to the Moon
The Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex (CDSCC) is part of NASA’s Deep Space Network, ensuring that the critical science obtained by robotic spacecraft throughout the solar system is communicated back to Earth. Currently supporting more than 30 spacecraft, CDSCC has played major roles in NASA’s highest profile missions, including Voyager I and II, Cassini, New Horizons and Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity). CDSCC is one of three similar complexes that are part of NASA’s global Deep Space Network (DSN). In Australia, CSIRO manages CDSCC on behalf of NASA.
An experienced facilities executive and engineering leader, you will manage CDSCC through its team of 90 staff. In this high-profile role you will ensure that all NASA’s mission support requirements for the DSN are met. Reporting to the Director, CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science, you will work closely with NASA and its related organisations, including the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), which manages and operates the DSN for NASA.
You will drive change at CDSCC as operational activities are developed and facilities are improved over time. In consultation with the Director of CASS, you will manage the relationships with various Commonwealth Government bodies and may also be required to interact with the news media as space missions supported by CDSCC often draw media interest.
As a member of the CASS Executive Team, you will contribute to the overall management and strategic direction of CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science and work with the broader CSIRO team to achieve CDSCC’s goals.
For more information about this role please view the Position Description.
Location: Tidbinbilla, ACT
Salary: Attractive executive package is negotiable
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant engineering or science degree in conjunction with demonstrated achievement in senior leadership and managerial roles.
- Broad experience and understanding of the technologies and functions associated with telecommunications and an appreciation of the unique attributes required for spacecraft communications.
- Extensive experience in engineering management and customer-focussed facilities maintenance and operations.
- A strong history of establishing and working effectively in teams, and a record of leadership which encourages new ideas, builds trust and provides support for the development of emerging skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategy that meets both current and emerging challenges.
- Experience in leading change management initiatives with demonstrated success in the implementation of cultural change.
- Proven ability to work effectively at a senior leadership level and build relationships, trust and confidence with stakeholders and with employees.
- Ability to meet the security requirements of this role as outlined in the position description document.
For full details about the requirements of this role please view the Position Description
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Please provide a cover letter and CV that outline your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
8 December 2020, 11:00 pm AEDT