CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships - Health & Biosecurity - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships - Health & Biosecurity
- Are you passionate about a career in research?
- Want to access CSIRO's world-class facilities and staff?
- Apply for a CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship now!
CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships provide enhanced opportunities in science and engineering for outstanding graduates enrolling in a PhD each year at Australian tertiary institutions as postgraduates. CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships are now being offered in over 30 CSIRO research areas, for funding commencing in financial year 2021-22.
CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships are available to postgraduate students who have gained (or expect to gain), first or upper second class honours or equivalent, in relevant research areas. Students must also be in receipt of, or expect to receive, a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or an equivalent primary scholarship commencing in 2021 or early 2022. Joint supervision of students by a university and a CSIRO supervisor is required and such joint supervisory arrangements must be consistent with the Higher Degree by Research Regulations of the host university. The students’ research will be co-supervised by CSIRO and university researchers.
A CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship is a supplementary award, which adds to the student’s support from a principal scholarship awarded by another body, e.g. RTP scholarship. In all respects recipients of awards will be regarded as students of the University at which they are registered, and all rules relating to degree candidature and the primary award will apply. In particular, recipients will undertake research at CSIRO as a student of the university concerned and will not be employees of CSIRO.
Recipients of CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships are generally required to be Australian citizens or permanent residents. However, in fields in which there is a national skill shortage, awards may be awarded to overseas candidates.
CSIRO Health & Biosecurity’s research programs focus on health and biosecurity preparedness and responsiveness, digital health, and health and wellbeing. For more information please see our website at Health & Biosecurity (link).
Research areas: for details of research areas and how to apply please see document CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarships - Health and Biosecurity (link to Excel document)
Location: Various locations across Australia
Scholarship: Top-Up Scholarship of $10,000 per annum, plus a learning and development budget of $5,000 over the term of the studentship
To be eligible to apply you must have (or expect to gain):
- first or upper second-class honours or equivalent in a relevant research area;
- admission to an Australian University as a PhD student;
- hold an appropriate visa to study in Australia (if international)*
- be no further than one year (FTE) into a PhD on commencing at CSIRO
- hold a primary scholarship; for example, a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or other primary scholarship of similar value
- not be in receipt of any other Top-Up Scholarship
- be available to commence with CSIRO no later than 30 June 2022
- a university supervisor who is willing and able to supervise you.
* International applicants must have the appropriate immigration approvals to allow them to take up the scholarship. The successful student must be residing in Australia in order to commence their PhD and take up the CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship by no later than 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Applications will be assessed on:
- Quality and relevance of student project: The primary assessment criterion for a CSIRO PhD Top-Up Scholarship is the quality and relevance of the project being proposed. The research must be aligned with the advertised priority research area.
- Academic calibre of the student: The quality of the student is also critical to the assessment of a scholarship and candidates must hold (or expect to gain) a relevant first or upper second class honours (or equivalent) degree from a recognised university.
- Availability of appropriate university supervision: The relevance of the university supervisor’s research background and their willingness to supervise the student in collaboration with the CSIRO supervisor should also be made clear.
How to apply:
You will be required to:
- submit a Resume/CV and Cover Letter (as one document) in the ‘Resume/CV’ field which includes:
- the reasons why the research project/s you have selected are of interest to you and how your skills/knowledge meet the project requirements;
- the names and contact details of two academic referees; and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and how this program will help you achieve them.
- upload your academic results in the ‘Cover Letter’ field;
- in the ‘Education’ section, select your university from the Educational Institute list;
- in the ‘Job-Specific Information’ section, select your preferred research project/s in order of preference. You are not required to provide your Grade Point Average (GPA), please select ‘Not Applicable’.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: email@example.com.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
1 November 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 01 Nov 2021
- Top-Up Scholarship of $10,000 per annum, plus a learning and development budget of $5,000
- Work Type:
Engineering - Software
Human Technology Interaction
Research and Development