Senior Software Engineer / Systems Architect
Senior Software Engineer / Systems Architect
- Do you have experience in leading the design of web and software projects?
- Drive and oversee the transition from R&D software to production level software
- Join CSIRO to help inform Australia’s future infrastructure investments
CSIRO Land and Water is seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer / Systems Architect position to join a growing team developing products and applications for the Transport Network Strategic Investment Tool (TraNSIT). There are two existing web-based tools from TraNSIT, called TraNSIT Web and the Supply Chain Benchmarking Dashboard.
TraNSIT is widely used across government, with a rapidly growing demand to inform Australia’s future infrastructure investments and increase the resilience of our supply chains. As a result, clients are now increasingly reliant on TraNSIT for their day-to-day core business meaning TraNSIT must be continually available, fast, stable, robust and technologically current. To support this, our software needs to transition from R&D software to production software.
As the successful candidate, one of your goals will be to expand the capability of existing tools and develop next generation versions capable of scenario analysis, meeting the Australia growing needs to plan for infrastructure investments and natural disasters. You will design and oversee the technical aspects of TraNSIT’s external facing tools and also support high level applications of TraNSIT for big projects and support development of visualization tools. You will be involved in high level systems architecture and systems design, the selection of technology stacks and services, HPC, cloud service, databasing options, and web services and web platform design.
This role is offered on a full-time or part-time basis (minimum 0.8 FTE).
Your duties will include:
- Driving and overseeing the transition of TraNSIT from R&D software to production level software.
- Lead web platform design and development, including meeting cyber security protocols, managing contributions from junior team members, liaising with external stakeholders as part of defining system and functionality requirements and compatibility with internal systems.
- Designing the web based products for TraNSIT outputs from Australian Climate Service and working with key government agencies to integrate into the external platforms.
- Designing web based products for other major initiatives such as Supply Chain Benchmarking Tool v2, TraNSIT Web 2, and WA food security dashboard.
- Determining suitable database solutions for TraNSIT and its products to improve performance, allow more complex functionality and accommodate larger data sets in the future.
- Future-proofing software development and providing guidance to other staff members in the contribution of programming and functionality development in the tools.
Location: Brisbane, Adelaide or Canberra preferred, other locations by negotiation
Salary: AU$117k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant degree in Computer Science or Information Technology and proven experience in software development and code optimisation in a team environment.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, architecture/design patterns, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Demonstrated experience in:
- Front-end web and back-end API development
- Node.js or alternatives
- Building efficient SQL queries.
- A history of building relationships, working collaboratively and managing complex professional relationships.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to deliver outputs to stakeholders, conferences or seminars.
- To be willing and able to undertake domestic travel as required.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be considered for this position, you must be an Australian Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. It is anticipated that the successful applicant will be required to obtain an Australian Government security clearance in the future.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
2 November 2021, 11:00 pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 01 Nov 2021
- AU$117k - AU$138k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Engineering - Software
Network and Systems