Senior Research Software Engineer
Senior Research Software Engineer
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office.
- Collaborative, flexible, innovative workplace that values you and your career development
- Join CSIRO and support Australia's premier scientific organisation!
The Scientific Computing Services (SCS) group is offering an exciting opportunity for early career professionals to gain valuable practical experience within CSIRO and become part of teams solving and addressing real-world problems.
As the successful applicant, you will work on projects within teams of; researchers, scientists, fellow technical experts, helping to mature their software engineering practice. Specific projects will depend on researcher demand being matched to available expertise. A variety of specialist skills are sought, and it is expected that successful candidates will cover a subset of desired skills.
Your duties will include:
- Under guidance your the main duties will include contributing to SCS activities with a focus on two or more of the following:
- Software engineering support
- Development or enhancement of Web tools
- High performance computing
- Workflow orchestration
- Numerical and data modelling
- Data manipulation, analysis and interpretation (including geospatial data)
- Software choice and provision
- Resource and service orchestration.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for their satisfaction, correcting problems promptly and in a constructive manner
- Under direction design or develop experimental equipment, techniques, systems or processes requiring high levels of initiative, ingenuity and skill, and appropriate communication of research or service results.
Location: Clayton VIC, Eveleigh NSW, Canberra ACT, Adelaide SA, Brisbane QLD, Perth WA
Salary: AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Expertise in developing and supporting software for two or more of the following
- Data Analytics and Visualisation - complex scientific visualisations, data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Workflows and Pipelines - dependency-based methods, streaming (data ingest, robust pipelines), workflow tools and frameworks, and batch job management on our HPC clusters
- High Performance Scientific Applications - algorithm and program optimisation, parallelisation, power optimisation for large scale computations and pipeline optimisations
- Simulation and Modelling - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Finite Element Analysis and Complex Systems
- Research Software Engineering - user requirements gathering, agile software development, software, and system testing and validation
- Domain Specific Algorithms and Software – astronomy, bioinformatics, remote sensing, image and signal processing
- Quantum Computing - quantum algorithms representative for computational science, quantum communication, and error correction, running on real quantum computers or using simulators on local computers
- Science Data Management – provenance, lifecycle management, and data formats and interchange
- Solution Design – cloud and HPC based solutions, storage, governance frameworks, and reporting
- Specialised web development for science and data analytics
- Expertise in the use and design of data centric workflows. This may include including scripting, use of HPC batch systems, cloud/container computing, web-based interfaces/portals and visualisation, use/provision of web services, databases, ‘big data’ technologies, and workflow tools. Web presentation of data (including geospatial data) is of particular interest, coupled with good data preparation and management.
- Demonstrated experience in a science domain relevant to CSIRO.
- Demonstrated expertise applying modern software engineering practices and tools, such as version control systems, build systems, testing, Agile development, profiling/debugging tools, and technical documentation.
- Demonstrated expertise with containerisation, including container design/definition, container orchestration, container networking and security, and Continuous Integration and Delivery workflow.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to apply for this advertised role you must be an Australian Citizen.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
5th December 2021, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 05 Dec 2021
- AU$102,724 to AU$111,165 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time
Engineering - Software
Research and Development