Mechatronics/Software Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join the Mining Technologies Research Group within CSIRO Mineral Resources
- Provide Software Engineering support
- Opportunity to create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
The CSIRO Mining Technologies Research Group develops world-leading technology that is used by both the domestic and global mining industry. The group is actively developing advanced sensing, processing, automation, and visualisation solutions for industry to support safe, sustainable, and productive mining processes.
An opportunity exists for a Mechatronics/Software Engineer to join the Integrated Mining team. Your role will be aimed at accelerating the delivery of our mining focussed research agenda. You will be involved in applied industry research and include algorithm development, software development, sensor interfacing, technology validation, system integration, as well as field activities.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking the design, implementation and validation of software with relevant hardware systems as directed by the research team for project work to address challenges.
- Adapt and/or develop original experimental methods, software, and devices in support of existing and further research.
- Independently test possible solutions to resolve identified problems.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary applied research team, to carry out tasks under limited direction in support of scientific research.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within your team, the business unit and across CSIRO, to reach objectives.
- Provide instruction on activities pertaining to the immediate work area and responsibilities, as required.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Values, Health, Safety and Environment plans and policies, Diversity initiatives and Zero Harm goals.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU$66k to AU$84k pa + up to 15.4% super
Tenure: 3 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
1. Relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in electronic, control, mechatronic or software engineering.
2. Strong proficiency in C/C++ software development and validation.
3. Proficiency with Windows and Linux development environments.
4. Experience designing and developing software in a collaborative environment.
5. Familiarity with software version control and documentation.
6. Familiarity using modern sensors and devices, e.g., laser, vision, inertial, radar.
7. Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team, and carry out tasks under general direction from researchers.
8. Ability and willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of research work.
1. Development with development platforms such as Visual Studio, Unity3D and Qt.
2. Software development experience for the mining industry.
3. PCB design and development experience.
4. Experience with control, automation or robotic operating system (ROS) development.
5. Experience with data research platforms such as MATLAB, OpenCV, PCL or TensorFlow.
6. Experience designing and/or applying machine learning (ML) techniques.
7. Experience with relational databases such as MySQL, SQLite and Maria.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
14 July 2022, 11:00 pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 14 Jul 2022
- QLD - Canberra
- AU$66k to AU$84k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
3D Geometry, Robotics or Computer Vision
Engineering - Hardware
Research and Development