How often do you look at the world with a new perspective? At the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute we do it every day. It’s in our DNA, our culture, our attitude and our approach.
For over 20 years, through the power of discovery, we have been able to imagine the unimaginable, revolutionising the understanding of heart disease –still the leading cause of death and disability in our society.
From the legacy of legendary heart transplant surgeon Victor Chang, the Institute’s team have rapidly pioneered research with a shared and life changing vision – to reduce the incidence, severity and impact of heart disease.
- To achieve excellence in research
- To demonstrate creativity in the pursuit of scientific discovery
- To act with honesty, integrity and fairness at all times
- To undertake research that has significant impact and makes a difference
- To promote a sense of teamwork and collegiality amongst staff and collaborators
At the Victor Chang Institute we strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a great working environment. We value and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us and help us make a difference.
We are seeking a bioinformatics analyst to join the Computational Genomics Laboratory, led by Dr Eleni Giannoulatou. The successful candidate will be involved in the analysis of large next-generation sequencing datasets and the development of quantitative approaches to identify the genetic causes of cardiovascular diseases with a particular focus on Congenital Heart Disease. The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in bioinformatics, computer science, statistics, science, engineering or a relevant quantitative field
- Experience with a statistical programming language (R/Bioconductor or Matlab) and a scripting language (Perl or Python)
- Excellent computational and mathematical skills
- Background knowledge in biology and interest in genetics
- Demonstrated capacity to work as a team member and independently
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Please address this selection criteria in your cover letter.
Term of Position
This is a full-time appointment for one year with an annual review, and the possibility of renewal subject to funding.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, with salary packaging and superannuation options also available.