Biodiversity Knowledge Manager, Parks Australia
Director of National Parks (View other jobs from this organisation)
Biodiversity Knowledge Manager, Parks Australia
As part of the Biodiversity Informatics team you will provide support for a number of systems which are used within the following institutions and by key stakeholders across Australia. Your role will give you opportunities to engage with users to understand and develop new features, perform business as usual support, undertake application development using current web-based technologies, perform data management support tasks, and provide client support as required.
The Biodiversity Informatics team provides information management support for non administrative activities to the Australian National Botanic Gardens and Biodiversity Conservation and Knowledge programs. The team is located at the Australian National Botanic Gardens.
Duties, tasks and responsibilities
The position is responsible for managing systems and data relating to the Biodiversity Conservation and Knowledge section, which includes the Australian Biological Resources Study, Australian National Herbarium Australian National Herbarium and Australian National Species List. The position involves complex interactions with Departmental and external stakeholders and requires a professional attitude, problem solving skills/abilities, careful and respectful communications and ongoing stewardship of the IT solutions developed to support stakeholders.
Management of contractors, external data providers and the development of collaborative data standards and protocols is required.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Supporting, developing and maintaining IT systems, applications and services supported by the Biodiversity Informatics team. These include collection management, taxonomy and nomenclature systems.
- Contributing expertise and providing technical advice that is aligned with overarching architectures, solution designs and frameworks. Maintain and apply as appropriate, up to date knowledge of domain/community frameworks, standards and protocols.
- Undertaking appropriate project management, documentation and work practices to deliver applications, services and integration.
- Providing support for system services maintained by the Biodiversity Informatics team.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders and partners.
What we are looking for
Skills and Capabilities
Your strong interest in the subject matter is key to being successful in this role.
This will be supported by: -
- In-depth IT skills to focus on the delivery of practical and flexible solutions to clients.
- A demonstrated ability to listen and communicate technical advice to team members, management and stakeholders, and to respond positively and flexibly to client and stakeholder needs.
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a small team with a strong focus on delivering innovative, quality outcomes for clients. Individuals are expected to cover multiple IT roles relevant to application development and support.
- The ability to undertake ongoing self-learning.
- A demonstrated keenness to apply your skills and take on responsibility for the ongoing management and development of the applications and associated linkages.
Knowledge and Experience
To be successful in this role it is highly desirable to have: -
- Previous experience and the aptitude to work innovatively in a science environment, preferably in the biodiversity and taxonomic domain.
- Experience in Unix based operating systems, and source code management and application deployment tools, such as Git, Jenkins, Docker.
- Experience in database data loading, exporting, reporting and cleaning in collaboration with users.
Relevant tertiary qualifications in computer sciences and/or biodiversity sciences are desirable.
To be eligible for employment with the Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment you must be an Australian citizen.
Security Clearance - This position requires a Baseline Vetting security clearance. You will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
Identified position – This position is an ‘Identified’ position which signifies that the role has a strong involvement in issues relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The successful applicant must have an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and an ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People.
How to apply
- To apply visit the Department’s online recruitment system at: https://awejobs.nga.net.au/cp/
To obtain more information about the position please contact Anne Fuchs on (02) 6250 9537 or email@example.com
Applications close: 11.00pm (AEDT) on Tuesday, 02 March 2021.
Flexible employment arrangements are available with the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Closing Date:
- 02 Mar 2021
- ACT - Canberra
- $82,500 - $93,670 per annum, plus superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Database Development, Management & Administration
Management and Supervisory
- APS Classification:
- APS Level 6