Supercomputing Systems Administrator
- Technical role in the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre
- Provide systems support for operation of the Pawsey supercomputing infrastructure
- Ensure high performance computing resources and related services meet its service expectations
The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre situated in Perth, Western Australia is a national world-class supercomputing and high volume data storage facility operating petascale compute and associated storage infrastructure. The Pawsey Supercomputing Centre represents an AU$80 million investment by the Australian Federal Government, and is an unincorporated joint venture of the CSIRO, Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and the University of Western Australia, supported by funding from the Western Australian and Federal government. As lead agent for the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre, the CSIRO employs Pawsey Supercomputing Centre staff.
Pawsey’s Supercomputing Team is responsible for configuring the infrastructure to fulfil the needs of the Australian research community and to engage with that community to make best use of the infrastructure. The incumbent, as part of this highly skilled team of professional specialists and system administrators, will ensure that Pawsey’s high performance computing resources and related services meet its service expectations.
Specifically you will:
- Be responsible for systems support for operation of Pawsey supercomputing infrastructure, including but not limited to flagship supercomputers, commodity Linux clusters and high performance parallel filesystems.
- Assist with the maintenance on Pawsey supercomputing infrastructure, including liaising with key stakeholders regarding timing and scope of maintenance.
- Undertake problem solving at a high level for systems and workflows.
- Ensure effective response to system support issues via request tracking.
- Manage faults and maintenance interactions with vendors.
Location: Kensington, Western Australia
Salary: $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Tertiary qualification in Science, Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology or other relevant field, and a minimum 10 years’ experience in administration of UNIX/Linux systems.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to anticipate the interests and knowledge level of an audience and present information and feedback accordingly.
- Proven ability to investigate underlying issues of complex and ill-defined problems and develop appropriate responses by adapting/creating and testing alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated success in managing computer systems in a research or operational environment.
- High-level skills in the use of C or C++ and scripting languages such as Perl or python, including source code management.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details Document
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your covering letter and resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, Sunday 1st Oct 2017